Friday, October 8, 2021

Cinnamon Hazelnut Cookies

Cinnamon Hazelnut Cookies

A while ago, when my husband and I were exploring a different grocery store, we came across a package of cinnamon hazelnuts. I love hazelnuts and adding some cinnamon would just make them better. I figured that I would be able to find some sort of cookie to make that uses cinnamon hazelnuts, so we picked them up. I started looking for a good recipe, and I settled on this fairly simple hazelnut cookie.

This cookie was noted as a Christmas cookie, but I think it is quite universal. I used cinnamon sugar rather than festive sprinkles, and that’s really the only thing that would point to this being for Christmas. Change up the sprinkles and it would fit any different holiday. I decided to use my cinnamon hazelnuts and I added a small amount of cinnamon to the dough to accentuate that flavor.

This dough takes about 5 minutes to make. I had forgotten to make the dough, so I quickly put it together one night about 9 pm (which is super late for this early riser). I ground the whole cinnamon hazelnuts in a food processor so that takes about 30 seconds, although it is 30 seconds that the cats hate me. I refrigerated the dough overnight and the next day they were ready, although still a bit pliable. The cinnamon sugar does get a little melted while baking, but there isn’t too much of it. These cookies are lovely, not super sweet, but with great buttery flavor.

Cinnamon Hazelnut Cookies
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup ground cinnamon hazelnuts
Cinnamon sugar
1 egg, beaten

In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter, sugar, egg, and salt on medium until well combined. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour, baking soda, and cinnamon. Add the ground hazelnuts and stir until combined.

Shape the dough into a log about 2-1/2 inches in diameter. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

Unwrap the dough and brush with beaten egg. Press cinnamon sugar over the dough log. Slice the dough log into ¼” slices. Place on the prepared baking sheets.

Bake for 9-11 minutes, until lightly browned. Cool on the baking sheets for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.

Recipe from Kitchen Geisha via Allrecipes

No comments: