Friday, June 24, 2022

Ferrero Rocher Brownies

Chocolate Hazelnt brownie, topped with a Ferrero Rocher candy, photographed on a white plate

I have been planning to make these brownies for some time! I love the combination of chocolate and hazelnut, so these can’t be beat. I wanted to make sure that I had good quality chocolate, and I visited a newer chocolate place near me, Fortunato Chocolate, to pick up some chocolate. I ended up getting 68% dark chocolate, which has a good chocolate taste and isn’t too sweet. Looking at the ingredients in these brownies, I knew that they would be sweet enough as is!

This recipe was originally published in Dutch, so I had to translate it to English. I was able to figure out some of the ingredients and also used Google translate for the items I couldn’t figure out. Some ingredients were still challenging. I tablespoon of syrup? Maple syrup or what? I ended up using Golden Syrup, often used in British baking, and it’s similar to honey or corn syrup. The original recipe called for “pure chocolate” which isn’t 100% cacao/unsweetened chocolate. It’s dark chocolate, according to Google translate. Good to know!

You start these brownies by melting the sugar, butter, and chocolate together. My mixture was slightly grainy, and I wasn’t sure, so I ended up making a second batch. That batch was also grainy but was absolutely fine once the brownies were baked. I baked mine as the instructions stated, but they were still really gooey. Which is great for a brownie! I topped mine with a simple topping of Nutella, which was perfect. Yes, they are topped with Ferrero Rocher, which are not essential, but they make this awesome brownie even better.

Ferrero Rocher Brownies
60 grams butter
150 grams sugar
75 grams brown sugar
125 grams dark chocolate, chopped
1 tablespoon Golden Syrup
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
100 grams flour
20 grams cocoa
1 teaspoon baking powder
75 grams chopped hazelnuts
75 grams milk chocolate chips

150 grams Nutella
Ferrero Rocher, for decoration

Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Line an 8” square pan with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.

In a medium saucepan, combine the butter, sugar, brown sugar, dark chocolate, and Golden Syrup. Heat on medium-low until the butter and chocolate is melted, stirring often. Remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature.

In a large mixer bowl, beat the eggs and vanilla until light. Add the cooled chocolate mixture and stir on low to combine. Add the flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder and again mix on low to combine. Fold in the chopped hazelnuts and milk chocolate chips. Spread the mixture evenly in the prepared pan.

Bake for about 25 minutes, until the top looks dry and a toothpick inserted into the brownies may still come out with a small crumb. Allow the brownies to cool completely.

Stir the Nutella to thin it slightly and spread on top of the brownie. Top with half of a Ferrero Rocher candy. Refrigerate before cutting into brownies.

Recipe from Laura’s Bakery

No comments: