Friday, November 10, 2023

Ginger Molasses Cookies

Two variations of molasses ginger cookies- one rolled in sanding sugar and the other topped with candied ginger. Photographed on a blue plate on top of an orange plaid mat.

This past weekend, I took a Ginger baking class. I am very fortunate that King Arthur Baking Company has two locations for classes: Vermont and Skagit Valley, Washington. Skagit Valley is about an hour and a half away, and made for a lovely weekend away. I had signed up for this class last year, but it was cancelled because of low enrollment. I was very happy that the class successfully ran this year!

We made three different ginger items: gingerbread with fresh ginger, lemon ginger scones, and these ginger molasses cookies. I love a molasses cookie, and I do have a number of similar recipes, but this one is so great. I enjoyed the class in that the instructor talked about different ways you could change the recipe, how you could try different flours, and other ideas. I really appreciated her sharing her knowledge.

I rolled my cookies in sanding sugar, which I like, but my husband doesn’t like it so he topped his with additional crystallized ginger. I like the crunch that sanding sugar adds to this soft cookie, but if you just want a soft cookie you could top it with any number of ingredients. I love the ginger and molasses in these cookies. You get the sharpness of molasses, but it’s not at all bitter. The mix of spices is fantastic, but if you have a favorite you want to include, feel free to do so. Just remember that you use less nutmeg or cloves than cinnamon!

Ginger Molasses Cookies
170 grams butter, room temperature
213 grams brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons ginger
½ teaspoons cloves
¼ teaspoon allspice
1 egg
85 grams molasses
92 grams diced crystallized ginger
300 grams flour
Sparkling sugar

Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment or silicone baking mats.

In a large mixer bowl, combine the butter, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and allspice. Beat on medium until combined. You may need to stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the egg and molasses and mix again on medium to combine. With the mixer running on low, add the crystallized ginger and flour and stir until the dough comes together.

Scoop the dough into tablespoon balls and roll in sanding sugar. Place the dough on the prepared baking sheets.

Bake for 10-12 minutes until fragrant and set. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheets before removing to a cooling rack.

Recipe from King Arthur Baking Company

No comments: