Friday, March 8, 2024

Hot Chocolate Cookies

A stack of hot chocolate cookies, chocolate cookies studded with chocolate chips and marshmallow bits

After I looked and looked and couldn’t fine marshmallow bits, once I did find them I had enough to use in a couple of recipes. There aren’t a lot of recipes out these, but honestly, these sounded good. They are nearly the same recipe that is on the package, but I read a little more about that and I found something interesting. The cookies on the blog came first, then the manufacturer asked to use her recipe. I hadn’t heard of that but it was a very positive sign for me.

Looking at this recipe, I figured that I would likely cut it down or make half a recipe. When I look at a recipe I look at the quantity of flour and similar ingredients to guess at how many cookies the recipe will make. This recipe calls for over three cups of flour, which is a lot. I made a half recipe (which is what is written below) and it still made about 30 cookies. The original recipe called for 3 tablespoons per cookie, which is a lot. I made mine smaller, and they are still plenty substantial.

I have hot chocolate mix on hand, so that wasn’t hard. We buy the container of it and measure it out, which is cheaper in the long run. We do but the name brand as we find that the store brand just doesn’t blend as well. If you have a favorite that you use, it will be perfect for this recipe. The dough isn’t too sticky, but the marshmallow bits are stubborn to work with. I flattened my cookies, but they become fairly flat as they cool, so perhaps that isn’t necessary. They have a wonderful chocolate taste, but with a little something special!

Hot Chocolate Cookies

1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 2/3 cups flour
6 tablespoons or 2 packages Hot Chocolate Mix
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup Marshmallow Bits

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter for 1 minute. Add the sugar and brown sugar and beat on medium to combine. Add the eggs and vanilla and stir to combine.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, hot chocolate mix, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour mixture. Stir in the chocolate chips and Marshmallow Bits.

Scoop the dough into the prepared baking sheets, using about 1-1/2 tablespoons dough per cookie.

Bake for 10-12 minutes, until set. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from Love From The Oven

No comments: