Friday, March 18, 2011

Krispies



I’m still trying to use up that box of crispy rice cereal that I bought a while back! This is a recipe from a book that I haven’t used in a long time: Mrs. Fields Cookie Book. More the rage in the 1980s than now, there are a couple of recipes in this book that I am extremely fond of. This is one of them: cookies with crispy rice cereal and chopped up Crunch bars. How could you go wrong?

This cookbook has one oddity: all the recipes bake at 300 degrees for around 20 minutes a batch. I guess that this may work in a commercial kitchen, but I find that they just don’t bake up quite right in my kitchen. I baked these at normal cookie baking temperature, 350 degrees, for a shorter amount of time (11 minutes in my case).

I’ve made these cookies many, many times, and it was fun to make them again. My husband came to the conclusion that you could chop up almost any candy bar and add it to this recipe, and I agree, you could add many kinds of chopped candy bars. I once made these with a leftover crispy rice chocolate bunny from Easter that I chopped up! They are sweet and chewy but also have that crunch from the crispy rice cereal. I really enjoyed making these again and I hope you’ll give them a try.

2 cups flour
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup sugar
¾ cup butter, softened
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup crispy rice cereal
6 oz. crispy rice chocolate bars, chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a small bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking soda; set aside. In a large mixer bowl, beat brown sugar, sugar, and butter. Add the egg and vanilla. Beat on medium until fully combined. Add flour mixture and stir on low until combined. Stir in the crispy rice cereal and the chopped chocolate bars. (I did this by hand.)

Drop by teaspoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes until set and light golden brown. Transfer cookies with a spatula to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from Mrs. Fields Cookie Book

5 comments:

Tessa said...

I will have to keep these in mind to use up any extra Easter candy. I love the crunch that rice krispies add too cookies! Yum!

Anonymous said...

Ohh these are right up my alley! I love crunch bars, and rice krispies!

mrscurrie said...

I agree about Mrs. Field's Cookie Book except for the almond crunch recipe. It is exceptional. I just put a small chocolate drizzle on it.

The Addicted Baker said...

Good idea :)

Anonymous said...

How many cookies did this recipe make?