Monday, December 5, 2011

Mincemeat Bars- 12 Days of Cookies Day 1



Welcome to the 12 Days of Christmas Cookies! Over the next two weeks or so I will post 12 different Christmas cookies recipes. Hopefully you will be inspired to try something new. I had a lot of fun picking all of the recipes to try this year. I’m mainly trying new recipes, but a couple of favorites are in there as well. I tried to mix it up and pick a variety of types of cookies, with different flavors, shapes, etc. I hope you like what I have picked.

The first recipe I am including is a recipe for Mincemeat Bars. When I went to England the first time to meet my husband’s family, it was Christmas and I got to experience the traditional English Christmas treats. I had never had mincemeat before and I discovered that I really liked it. I now make mincemeat pies each Christmas, but I’m always looking for other ways to include mincemeat in recipes. The site where I found this recipe had a couple of good ideas, and even included a recipe for homemade mincemeat. I haven’t ever made my own mincemeat, but I’m sure that someday I will give that a try. (And if you are worried, take a look at the recipe and be reassured that that mincemeat contains no meat!)

Since this recipe came from a British site, the measurements are in weight and I have converted the quantities to what is common here in the US. Sorry that they may seem unusual! This recipe doesn’t make very many, since you make it in a large loaf pan. The cookies are very substantial, but they’re a little crumbly. They’re just pastry topped with mincemeat and a nut/oat topping. Simple, but very good. I thought that using the mincemeat in this recipe really highlighted the flavors. If you’ve never tried mincemeat, I encourage you to give it a try!

3 ounces flour
0.3 ounces powdered sugar
1.75 ounces butter, cut in pieces
1-2 teaspoon ice water

7 ounces mincemeat

1 ounce flour
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 ounce rolled oats
1 ounce sugar
1 ounce cold butter
1 ounce pecans, chopped
1 ounce sliced almonds

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 8-1/2” x 4-1/2” loaf pan with parchment paper.

In a food process, combine the flour and powdered sugar. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add some ice water and pulse until the dough comes together. Press the dough into the prepared pan.

Spread the mincemeat evenly over the pastry base.

Combine the flour, cornstarch, cinnamon, oats and sugar into a mixing bowl. Cut in the cold butter until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add the nuts and run your fingers through to mix. Scatter the crumble over the mincemeat. Press the crumble topping down firmly with your hands.

Bake in for 35-40 minutes until golden brown. Let the bars cool completely before cutting into bars or slices.

Recipe from The British Larder

No comments: