Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Chocolate Chip Sour Cream Muffins


During the school year, I’m at the mercy of having to bake things ahead of time and bring them in to work the next day. I like doing that, but it excludes a number of baked goods from my repertoire as some things really need to be baked and served right away. A lot of breakfast baking seems to be this way: most scones and muffins are best warm from the oven. During the regular school year I get to work too early to make that possible, but now it is summer and things are different.

I work a little during the summer, but the earliest I have to be at work is 10 am. During the rest of the year I am thinking about eating lunch at 10 am! So I have been able to get up (since I still get up pretty early) and do some baking and then take it to work. I’ve really enjoyed that. Ok, so the first thing that I made was cookies, which do last more than a day, but I can also make things like these muffins which don’t keep all that well.

My husband loves chocolate chip cookies so I knew these muffins would be to his liking. They took about 15 minutes to put together and then about 15 minutes to bake so they are very fast start to finish. I try to keep sour cream in the refrigerator since that comes in hand with quite a few recipes! Otherwise, these muffins contain ingredients that you are likely to have on hand already. These are quick and certainly would be a nice surprise for anyone as a breakfast treat.

Chocolate Chip Sour Cream Muffins
1-1/2 cups flour
2/3 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1 cup sour cream
5 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin pan with 12 paper liners.

In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, combine the egg, sour cream, melted butter, and vanilla, mixing well.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. Add in the chocolate chips and stir until incorporated.

Evenly divide the batter among the prepared cups, filling the cups about 3/4-full.

Bake for 14-18 minutes, until lightly browned and a tester inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean.

Recipe from The Curvy Carrot

No comments: