Friday, June 22, 2012

Cinnamon Brown Sugar Cookies


One of my first memories of baking is standing on a stepstool in the kitchen and using a spatula to take cookies off of the baking sheet. I have a photo of me doing that somewhere and I remember very fondly being in the kitchen baking. The first cookies that I remember making are snickerdoodles and they are still a favorite. On this blog I have made different types of snickerdoodles and other snickerdoodle-inspired items. Here’s another to add to the list.

This cookie isn’t exactly a snickerdoodle, but it’s pretty close. The original recipe called these cookies butterscotch cinnamon sugar cookies, but they aren’t really butterscotch other than containing brown sugar. The cinnamon comes from the cinnamon sugar that you roll the dough in before baking: just like snickerdoodles. These don’t contain cream of tartar for leavening, which is to me what makes a snickerdoodle a snickerdoodle, but they are really great. Just think of them as a brown sugar snickerdoodle. 

This recipe doesn’t make very many (just 2 dozen) and they go super-fast. I took them to work and they were gone in about 2 hours. They have a wonderful caramel-like flavor from the brown sugar, which was intensified because I used dark brown sugar. The butterscotch chip on top is mainly for decoration, and I’m not sure it adds that much flavor, but I liked that little extra bit of sweetness. I don’t think the cinnamon was that strong, but you could add some extra cinnamon to the dough if you want to enhance the cinnamon flavor. But these cookies were so good, and when I make them again, I won’t change a thing.

Cinnamon Brown Sugar Cookies
1 1/4 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla 
Cinnamon sugar (1/4 cup sugar, 2 teaspoons cinnamon)
Butterscotch chips, for decoration

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

In a large mixer bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, followed by vanilla. Gradually blend in the flour mixture until dough comes together. Do not over beat.

Shape dough into 1-inch balls and roll in cinnamon sugar before placing on prepared baking sheets. Allow about 2 inches between cookies to allow for spread.

Bake for 11-14 minutes, until cookies are set and very lightly browned around the edges. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for a few minutes. While still one the baking sheet you can press a butterscotch chip in the center of each cookie. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from Very Enchanting

1 comment:

Jey said...

Yum! I think these will be next on my list of cookies to bake.