Monday, September 3, 2012

Chai Apple Coffee Cake



I’m still trying to use up the container of chai tea concentrate, and I still have a lot to go! This was the recipe that I first spotted and wanted to make with the chai concentrate, but I ended up making other things first. This coffee cake uses chai concentrate in the cake batter plus you sauté apples in additional concentrate. I love baked apples, and I love cinnamon and spice, so this was just the best looking cake for me!

This cake has a number of steps, but they are simple steps. I made it even easier by mixing the cake batter in the food processor. I always make such a mess cutting in better by hand, and the food processor makes quick, clean work of it. When you sauté the apples, play it by ear with how much of the cooking liquid is too much. It seemed like there was too much liquid so I drained a little bit of it off before topping the cake with the apples. I didn’t want my cake to be soggy.

This is such a beautiful cake. The apples get nice golden brown on top, and just a little toasty around the edges. The flavors of the chai tea pair wonderfully with the apples. I took this to work and one of my coworkers commented that he really like the chai desserts that I have been bringing. Well, that’s great as I still have a lot of chai tea concentrate to use!

Chai Apple Coffee Cake

1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup chai tea concentrate
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons butter, melted

2 cups of apples, peeled, cored and sliced
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup chai tea concentrate
2 tablespoons brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9-inch round springform pan.

In a large food processor, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; pulse to combine. Add butter and pulse until crumbly. Add the chai concentrate, egg and vanilla. Process until the dough comes together. Spread the batter in the prepared pan.

For the streusel, combine the 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar and 3 tablespoons butter in a small bowl. Mix until crumbly and sprinkle on top of the cake batter.

To make the apple topping, sauté apples in 2 tablespoons butter for approximately 2 minutes in a small skillet. Add chai concentrate, cover and continue to cook for 2 more minutes. Spoon the apples over the top of the batter/streusel and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons brown sugar.

Bake for 1 hour or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick comes out with moist crumbs. Cool cake on wire rack for 10 minutes and then remove the sides of the springform pan. Serve warm or cooled.

Recipe from Ezra Pound Cake

No comments: