Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes



This summer I have been taking my baked goods to a different part of campus where I have been working. They really like that I bring things and it’s nice that everyone is so appreciative. I mentioned that I do take requests and I got a request for chocolate chip cookies. My husband always asks for those too! Well, I thought about it and I came across this recipe which does contain chocolate chip cookie dough, just with a cupcake wrapped around the outside.

I decided to make mini cupcakes, since those work so much better at work where people grab a treat and go. I ended up having more cupcake batter than cookie dough, so next time I would make more cookie dough filling. I ended up making 24 cupcakes with the cookie dough filling and 12 plain cupcakes. Since I made minis, even the mini Chips Ahoy cookies were too big to use as decoration so I just cut them in half. 

Wow, these are fabulous cupcakes! I don’t normally eat a lot of my baking (because I would eat it all and that wouldn’t be good) but these are so addictive. The cookie dough remains just a bit gooey and is so nice with the dark chocolate cake. The frosting is so good and tastes a lot like cookie dough, too. I’ve never made frosting with flour, but maybe that makes a difference. So go, make these right away! And make them minis, so you won’t feel too guilty when you eat several of them.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes

3/4 cup flour
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

1 cup flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup hot water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

3/4 cup butter, room temperature
1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mini Chips Ahoy cookies, for decoration

Make the cookie dough filling: In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. In a large mixer bowl, cream together the butter, sugars, milk and vanilla. Stir in the dry ingredients and the chocolate chips. Refrigerate for 30 minutes, and then scoop out dough in 1 teaspoon scoops, shape into a ball and place on a cookie sheet. Freeze until firm, at least 30 minutes.

Make the cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 mini cupcake cakes with paper liners. In a large mixer bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda and salt. Add the water, oil, egg and vanilla. Mix on low to combine. Fill each cupcake liner 2/3 full. Drop a ball of frozen chocolate chip cookie dough into the center of each cupcake.

Bake the cupcakes for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cupcake portion of the cupcake (not tested through the center where the dough is), comes out fairly clean. Cool the cupcakes completely before frosting.

Make the frosting: in a large mixer bowl, beat the butter and sugars until smooth and creamy. Mix in the flour, milk and vanilla and continue to mix until all is well combined.  Scoop the frosting into a piping bag and pipe it on the cupcakes. Sprinkle mini chips on top and garnish with half of a mini chocolate chip cookie.

Recipe from Recipe Girl

No comments: