Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Pumpkin Cupcakes with Biscoff Buttercream



Happy Halloween! I wanted to make something for work to help celebrate. We were also honoring the part-time librarians so I brought these to share. I figured that pumpkin would be a good fit for Halloween and I was so interested in trying the Biscoff buttercream. So far I have loved everything I have made with Biscoff, and frosting is never bad, right?

The little Halloween toppers I purchased from the King Arthur Flour catalog last year. I never got around to using them and I was determined to use them this Halloween! The set had four different toppers: an owl, a witch’s hat, a moon, and a ghost. Owls are super popular these days and I thought these were so cute. I only had 20 toppers so I topped the rest with fall leaf sprinkles.

I made mini cupcakes and it made over 5 dozen! My kitchen counter was overflowing with cupcakes. I was worried that I wouldn’t have enough frosting for all of the cupcakes, but I had more than enough. I guess when you pipe on the frosting a little goes a long way. The cupcakes by themselves are really tasty, with the perfect hint of cinnamon. The frosting is so great, although it is pretty sweet. You really need the pumpkin cupcake base or it would be way too sweet!

Pumpkin Cupcakes with Biscoff Buttercream

2 cups sugar
¾ cup vegetable oil
15 ounce can pumpkin puree
4 eggs
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  
1 cup butter, softened
¾ cup Biscoff spread
3 cups powdered sugar
3-4 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line about 24 regular or 60 mini cupcake cups with paper baking liners.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, oil, pumpkin and eggs. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon; add to pumpkin mixture and stir until well mixed.

Fill muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake for 18-22 minutes for regular sized cupcakes, or 13-14 minutes for mini cupcakes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes in the pan and then cool completely on a wire rack.

Make the frosting: place the butter and Biscoff spread into a large mixer bowl. Beat on medium until well blended. Add half the powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons milk, and the vanilla to the butter mixture. Mix until blended. Add the remaining sugar and 1 tablespoon milk. Mix until blended, adding additional milk if required to achieve desired consistency. Pipe frosting onto the cooled cupcakes. Decorate as desired.

Recipe from Real Mom Kitchen

No comments: