Monday, November 12, 2012

Peanut Butter Mini Chocolate Chip Loaves



Peanut butter bread? Well, this isn’t yeast bread so don’t be too scared. When I think of peanut butter, I think of cookies or peanut butter on toast for breakfast. I’ve made peanut butter chocolate muffins that were a huge hit so why not try a peanut butter loaf? I think I made something similar years and years ago, but I don’t remember how it turned out.

After making the Buttermilk Crumb Muffins, I had buttermilk in my refrigerator to use up. I don’t usually buy buttermilk; I just add some lemon juice or vinegar to regular milk and substitute that. I knew I could use buttermilk in any sort of cake, bread or muffin recipe that called for milk. This recipe specifically called for buttermilk so I thought I would give it a shot. And peanut butter and chocolate chip anything can’t be bad.

I changed up this recipe a bit by alternating adding the flour mixture and the mix. That’s fairly standard practice for making quick bread. The original recipe had you add the milk and then the flour. My method seemed to work just fine and the loaves have a really nice texture. This makes two loaves, one to eat and one to share. The bread isn’t quite as heavy as peanut butter cookies can be, but you get the great pairing of peanut butter and chocolate. So bust out of the banana bread mode and try some peanut butter bread!

Peanut Butter Mini Chocolate Chip Loaves

3 cups flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup butter, room temperature
1 cup (9 ounces) peanut butter
½ cup sugar
½ cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1-1/2 cups buttermilk
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 8”x4” loaf pans.

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In a large mixer bowl, cream the butter, peanut butter, sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating for one minute after each addition.

Combine the buttermilk and vanilla. Add the flour mixture alternatively with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Stir in the mini chocolate chips.

Divide the batter between the two prepared pans. Smooth the batter as best you can, it’s very thick.

Bake for 45-50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaves comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pans for 15 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool. Cool completely before slicing.

Recipe from America’s Favorite Brand Name Old-Fashioned Favorites

No comments: