Friday, November 9, 2012

Rocky Road Biscotti



I really like rocky road ice cream, but our weather has gotten so cold that I don’t think that it’s going to be ice cream weather any time soon. I saw this recipe for rocky road biscotti and thought that would be really good. I hadn’t made biscotti in a while so I thought it was time! This has a few more ingredients that plain old rocky road, white chocolate chips and toffee chips, but I figured that would make it even better.

I recently purchased some mini dehydrated marshmallows at the store as I thought that I could use them in a cookie recipe. They look like the marshmallows that you get in a package of hot cocoa mix. They are super tiny, about a quarter of the size of mini marshmallows. I figured that they’d probably work well in this recipe. They are a bit delicate, so take care if you use them and don’t squish them too much when adding them to the dough.

I made my biscotti in two logs, and they were way too big, so I would suggest shaping the dough into 4 logs. My two logs sort of joined and just about took up the entire cookie sheet. After they cooled I was able to trim them down and so they turned out fine. For the second baking time, you can bake them a little or a lot depending on how crisp you like your biscotti. I kept mine on the softer side. You can leave these plain or drizzle them with chocolate, as I did. The super mini marshmallows disappeared into the dough, so next time I would just use the regular mini marshmallows. These are nice and chocolaty, with a nice crunch and a good combination of flavors.

Rocky Road Biscotti

1 cup butter
1-3/4 cup sugar
3 eggs
 2 teaspoons vanilla
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon instant espresso powder
2 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
2-1/2 cups flour
2 cups chocolate chips
1 cup white chocolate chips
1 cup mini marshmallows
1 cup toffee chips
1 cup chopped pecans
Melted chocolate, if desired

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a large mixer bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating for one minute after each addition. Stir in the vanilla. Add the cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and stir to combine. With the mixer on low, gradually add the flour. Stir in the chips, marshmallows, toffee chips and pecan by hand.

Shape the dough: divide the dough into 4 equal parts. Shape each section of dough into a log, about 4 inches wide and ¾” thick. Repeat with the remaining dough, shaping 2 logs per baking sheet. Allow some space between the logs as the dough does spread a bit.

Bake for 35-40 minutes, until set. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 20 minutes.

Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees. Transfer the logs, one at a time, to a cutting board and slice into ½” slices. Place the cut biscotti on the baking sheets, allowing some space between each cookie. Bake for an additional 10-20 minutes to crisp the cookies. Drizzle cooled cookies with melted chocolate, if desired.

Recipe from Brown Sugar Mama

No comments: