Friday, November 9, 2018

Butter Rum Brickle Cookies



I really need to do a better job of planning what I am going to bake. It seems like our grocery trips lately have been unplanned and at that last minute, so I haven’t been planning and stocking up on ingredients. That leaves me to search the cupboard for ingredients, hoping that I have the ingredients I need. I usually pin recipes that I am interested in baking, and in looking at the recipes I sometimes remember ingredients that I need to pick up. Sometimes not.

This recipe doesn’t call for unusual ingredients. I thought that I would have most of all the ingredients I needed. When I checked I had almost 8 ounces of toffee bits, and honestly I think that the amount of toffee bits was just right. I also didn’t have run extract, so I just used rum. I substituted 2 tablespoons of rum for the extract and I just used a small bit in the glaze.

These cookies are very simple and reminded me of Russian teacakes that are popular during the holidays. They are rich, so I made them small. You top the cookies with a browned butter frosting. Be careful when you’re browning butter, as it can burn very easily. I added more than 2 cups of powdered sugar, as the frosting seemed too runny. The frosting cools and thickens quickly, so I think adding the extra powdered sugar wasn’t a good idea. You can taste the rum, but it isn’t over the top, and the browned butter adds an extra flavor nuance.

Butter Rum Brickle Cookies
1 cup butter, room temperature
3/4 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons rum extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups flour
8 ounces brickle toffee bits

1/3 cup butter, cubed
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon rum extract
About 2 tablespoons milk

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a large mixer bowl, combine the butter, powdered sugar, run extract, and salt. Beat on medium until smooth. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour. Stir in the toffee bits. Shape the dough into 1-inch balls.

Bake for 9-11 minutes, until the edges of the cookies begin to brown. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Once the cookies are cool, make the frosting. In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Once melted, continue heating until the butter turns golden brown, swirling the butter in the pan frequently. Remove from the heat and stir in the powdered sugar and rum extract. Whisk in enough milk to reach spreading consistency. Spread on the cooled cookies.

Recipe from Taste of Home

No comments: