Monday, December 2, 2019

Cranberry Swirl Cookies: 12 Days of Cookies Day 2



When choosing cookies to bake to help celebrate Christmas, I like to include cookies that include cranberries in some manner. These cookies fill the bill, as the filling is a combination of cranberries and cherries. When picking cookies this year, I swear that I picked the fussiest cookies possible. I know I would get a lot better at rolling out dough if I did it more often, but I don’t, and I always feel I could do better with that.

The cookie dough for these cookies must be rolled to an 8” x 12” rectangle. I was able to do that, as I felt like I had enough dough. Still, it took quite a bit of measuring. I thought that there could have been more of the cranberry filling, as it was a very thin layer. The dough is sticky, so trying to roll up the dough wasn’t easy. I was eventually able to do it, but like I said, it was fussy.

I refrigerated these cookies here and there, mainly when the oven was heating. I think it helped, but I’m not really sure. I baked the cookies for 30 minutes and let them cool. You are then supposed to cut them into slices, but that’s where I had the most trouble with this recipe. The dough layer was so thin, as was the filling, and when I cut them into slices they started to fall apart. I hoped they would come together during the second bake, and they looked ok. Glazed they looked better. I’m still not sure that they are worth all of the fuss, but it was nice to make a different recipe.

Cranberry Swirl Cookies
2/3 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup cherry preserves
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 cup butter, room temperature
2/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2-1/4 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

In a food processor, process the cranberries, preserves and cinnamon until smooth. Set aside.

In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter and sugar on medium until light.  Add eggs and vanilla and mix on medium to combine. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour, baking powder, and salt. 

Divide dough into halves, roll each half into a rectangle 8” x 12”. Spread half of the cranberry mixture onto the dough. Starting on the short side, roll up the dough jelly roll style. Repeat with the remaining dough. Chill the dough while the oven heats.

Heat the oven to 325 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat.

Place the rolls on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes. Cool the logs for 5 minutes before proceeding.

Transfer the logs to a cutting board, and slice into ½” slices. Place back in the prepared baking sheet, standing the cookie up on the edges. Bake for an additional 20 minutes, until the centers of the cookies are firm. Allow the cookies to cool before glazing.

To glaze, place the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla in a small bowl and whisk until smooth. Drizzle over the sliced cookies. Allow the glaze to set before serving the cookies.

Recipe from Taste of Home

No comments: