Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Soft Glazed Gingerbread Bars: 12 Days of Cookies Day 3


I really like to bake with ginger, it’s one of my favorite ingredients. I have made all sorts of ginger cookies, and the Triple Ginger Cookies that I made are my favorite. I was recently asked to submit a recipe for my school’s faculty newsletter and those were the ones I chose. I made another batch, as you can never have too much ginger.

When I was looking at cookies to make for Christmas, I was honestly shocked that I hadn’t made these before. I searched and searched, but I hadn’t so I was thrilled! The cookie base is thin and baked up in a few minutes. They aren’t thick and cakey like other bars. It is a challenge to spread the dough in the pan, so I used damp hands to help. The dough was too sticky to use a spatula, so just wash your hands and use them.

The glaze for these bars is simple, and the biggest challenge is to wait for the bars to cool. Thankfully, that happens quickly since the bars are so thin. This is my favorite type of glaze- a thin drizzle- as you don’t need to worry about the glaze being perfect.These bars are so good and are a can't miss for your Christmas baking!

Soft Glazed Gingerbread Bars
½ cup butter, room temperature
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

1 cup powdered sugar
1-3 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9” x 13” baking pan with foil and spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray.

In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter and brown sugar on medium until smooth. Add the molasses and egg and stir to combine. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour mixture. Mix just until combined. Pat the dough into the bottom of the prepared pan.

Bake for 14-17 minutes, until set. The bars will be a little soft when they are removed from the oven but will set as they cool. Cool completely.

Make the glaze: in a medium bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, vanilla, and 2 tablespoons milk. Add additional milk in required to make the glaze of drizzling consistency. Drizzle on the cooled bars. Allow the glaze to set before cutting into bars.

Recipe from Chocolate with Grace

No comments: