Monday, December 23, 2019

Peppermint Truffle Cookies: 12 Days of Cookies Day 11


While I generally don’t like mint in its native form, I do love baking with mint. Give me a mojito with muddled mint and I am not interested. Give me chocolate peppermint cookies and I love that. I wonder if that takes back to when I was a kid, and my grandmother would make surprise cookies. The cookies had a mint chocolate wafer enclosed in a sugar cookie. I made a similar recipe , but they are never quite the same because as far as I can tell, they no longer make those mint chocolates.

My husband and I found these peppermint truffles at the grocery store and they looked great. I decided to make the recipe on the back, which proved to have some challenges. The recipe baked at 375 degrees, but nearly all cookies bake at 350 degrees. The dough was not chilled, and it seemed like it would need time in the refrigerator. The first batch was mainly a disaster, so I made some changes.

I lowered the temperature to 350 degrees and refrigerated the dough before proceeding, and that made all the difference. The recipe as written here incorporate those changes. At first, I wasn’t going to post these cookies, but they are so good. While they are different stylistically, these taste a lot like the surprise cookies that my grandma used to make. Eating these cookies bring back a lot of good memories, and that’s what Christmas is all about.

Peppermint Truffle Cookies
2-1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, room temperature
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
9 ounces Nestle Peppermint Truffles

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter and sugar on medium until light. Add the vanilla and stir on medium. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour mixture. When the dough has almost come together, add the Nestle Peppermint Truffles and stir on low to distribute.

Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour.

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

Drop the cookies by tablespoons onto the prepared baking sheets.

Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden around the edges. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from Nestle

No comments: