Friday, April 24, 2020

Raspberry Almond Tarts


I have a weird sense of time working from home. It seems like every day is so packed and the days are long. But then I get to the end of the week and it feels like, wow, where did it go? I’ve had a couple of days where I’ve had fewer meetings and I’ve been able to work on other projects, which was so nice. Maybe someday I will catch up with all the things I need to do. Probably not!

The worst part of the end of each week is that I don’t get to take cookies to work. So many folks have said they love the cookies that I bring every Friday. I am still baking, and even baking a little extra to use up different ingredients that we have around. Occasionally I post a photo of what I have made for the online forum we use for work, but I don’t want people to feel bad. I try not to make too many cookies, so this recipe, as written, makes 24 tarts, but I cut that in half to make a dozen.

The original recipe called for the use of the food processor. Unfortunately, I have a small (2 cup) food processor, and a huge one (12 cups) and there is no in-between. I ended up using a mixing bowl and it worked. I did end up adding an egg yolk, as my dough was too dry. That seemed to do the trick. I ended up using cherry preserves, as we didn’t have any raspberry. I like cherry better as there are no pesky raspberry seeds. I could have used any number of different flavors, but I think any preserves that are red are the best. These are lovely little cakes, and they were easy to make!

Raspberry Almond Tarts
1 cup flour
1/2 cup almond flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, cubed
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup raspberry jam, or other flavor
Powdered sugar

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a mini-muffin pan with paper liners.

In a mixer bowl, beat the flour, almond flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the butter pieces and stir until crumbly. Add the vanilla and almond extract and mix until the dough comes together. If the dough is exceptionally dry, add an egg yolk to help the dough come together.

Shape the dough into 1-1/4-inch balls and place in the prepared mini-muffin cups. Make an indentation in the top of each ball with your thumb or the end of a wooden spoon.

Fill the indentations with jam, overfilling slightly.

Bake for 13-15 minutes, until set. Allow the cookies to cool in the pan at least 20 minutes. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.

Recipe from Lovely Little Kitchen

No comments: