Friday, May 1, 2020

Crispy Cookies with Chocolate and Butterscotch


As folks continue to stay at home, they sure must be doing a lot of baking. For several weeks in a row, I have put flour on the grocery list, only to find that there is no flour to be found. I’m still ok, but I see my flour supply getting lower and lower. When this all started, I had selected several recipes that used a minimal amount of flour. Thankfully, I am still working through that list. As I also don’t have people to deliver cookies to, I can get by with much smaller batches.

I ended up halving this recipe, and it still made 2-1/2 dozen! I guess you may want to cut the recipe in half anyway. Half of the recipe used 18 tablespoons of flour, which is just over a cup, so that isn’t too bad. I often have a variety of chips on hand and I had both mini chips and butterscotch chips. You could really use any sort of leftover chips that you might have on hand. I had purchased crispy rice cereal for another recipe, which I haven’t made yet, so those were handy, too. I don’t like to eat it as cereal, unless I add a lot of sugar!

This is a variation of a chocolate chip cookie, or a chocolate chip cookie meets a ranger cookie. My husband loves chocolate chip cookies, but I prefer something with more components, and these fit the bill. The butterscotch chips on their own would be too sweet, but they combine well in this cookie paired with semi-sweet chocolate. The crispy rice cereal adds a good crunch, just be careful to avoid mixing the dough too much.

Crispy Cookies with Chocolate and Butterscotch
2 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup mini chocolate chips
1 cup butterscotch chips
2 cups crispy rice cereal

Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter, sugar, and brown sugar on medium until light. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix again on medium to combine. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour mixture. When almost combined, add the mini chips, butterscotch chips, and the crispy rice cereal.

Form into 1-1/4” balls and place on the prepared baking sheets.

Bake for 9-12 minutes until lightly golden around the edges. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from Yellow Bliss Road

No comments: