Friday, July 17, 2020

Biscoff Cookie Butter Bars


Because I am not taking cookies to work, I sometimes chat with my friends about cookies that I have made. This week, I noted that I made these bars, originally called Speculoos Cookie Butter Bars, and she wasn’t sure what cookie butter was. She had eaten Biscoff cookies, and I explained it was a spread made of those. It’s very tasty! A few years ago, Biscoff cookies and cookie butter spread were not available anywhere, but now they’re easy to find.

You even have options. This recipe used the version sold at Trader Joe’s, where they sell the Speculoos cookies and cookie butter spread. I don’t always make it to Trader Joe’s, and recently there’s been a long line when I go by, so I bought the “original” Biscoff cookies and Biscoff spread at the store. Either product works fine. The weights of the packages are nearly equivalent, so they are interchangeable. I was thrilled that the Biscoff cookie package was slightly more than 7 ounces, so my husband and I each enjoyed a cookie.

These cookies require little baking, which is good as the weather may be warm where you live. There isn’t a lot of baking in this recipe, but you do make the topping/frosting. Store-bought frosting just isn’t good, so it is best to make your own. I made these in stages, when I had a few minutes here, a couple of minutes there, which was great. The bars are very good, but the base is slightly crumbly, so make sure that you store them in the refrigerator to keep them together!

Biscoff Cookie Butter Bars
7 ounces Biscoff/Speculoos cookies
¼ cup butter, melted
14 ounces Biscoff/cookie butter spread
4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
½ teaspoon vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8” square baking pan with foil and spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray.

In a food processor, process the cookies until finely crushed. Transfer the mixture to a separate bowl, reserve two tablespoons of crushed cookies for the topping. Mix the remaining cookies with the melted butter and stir to combine. Put the crumbs into the prepared pan and flatten with the bottom of a measuring cup to create an even layer.

Bake for 14 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow the base to cool.

Once cool, spread the cookie butter over the cooled base. Place the cookies in the freezer while you make the topping.

To make the topping, place the cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and 1 cup powdered sugar into a large mixer bowl. Mix on medium until combined. Add the second cup of powdered sugar and beat on medium until smooth. Spread the topping evenly over the cookie butter layer. Sprinkle the bars with the reserved cookie crumbs. Refrigerate for at least an hour, until the bars are completely firm. Remove the bars from the pan and cut into squares. Store the bars in the refrigerator.

Recipe from Foodness Gracious

No comments: