Friday, January 8, 2021

Rose's Sugar Cookies

Photo of Rose's Sugar Cookies on a blue plate

The new year is underway, and work has started again. While I should never complain as I have long breaks from work, it does seem like time flies when I am not working. Working from home is a challenge, but I don’t feel like the world is healthy enough to be out in it. My cats are sure happy I am home and that I’m back to a “normal” routine of sitting at my computer desk. It is nice, until the cat steals my chair!

I guess I am not quite ready to finish with Christmas baking. I got this recipe from my friend at work, and it is a classic Christmas cookie in her family. As I hadn’t been to the store, it was just perfect as it called for ingredients that I already had. Looking at the recipe, I had a feeling that it would make a lot of cookies, so I made a half batch (shown here), which was about 25 cookies. While we still have many Christmas treats at home, it was a nice addition to our bounty.

The recipe was a little brief, and one question that I had was how long I should chill the dough. I asked my friend and she said about 30 minutes. The dough was really soft to start with and I ended up checking the dough after 45 minutes. The dough was still soft, but it worked, although the dough did spread a bit. I flattened some with the bottom of a glass and some with a fork, but it didn’t make much of a difference. These cookies remind me of something from my childhood, but I can’t quite place them. They are a very tasty cookie, and simply melt in your mouth!

Rose’s Sugar Cookies
½ cup sugar
½ cup powdered sugar
½ cup butter, room temperature
½ cup vegetable oil
1 egg
½ teaspoon vanilla
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon cream of tartar
2 cups + 2 tablespoons flour

In a large mixer bowl, combine the sugar, powdered sugar, butter, vegetable oil, and egg. Mix on medium until combined. Add the vanilla and salt and stir to combine. In a separate bowl whisk together the baking soda, cream of tartar, and flour. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour mixture, stirring until the mixture forms a dough. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about an hour.

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

Shape the dough into 1-1/2” balls and place on the prepared baking sheets. Flatten the cookies slightly with the bottom of a glass that has been dipped in sugar.

Bake for about 10 minutes, until the cookies are set. The will not brown much. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from A Woman in a Retirement Home in Aitkin, Minnesota

No comments: