Friday, January 22, 2021

White Chocolate and Caramel Blondies

Photo of White Chocolate and Caramel Blondies

I’ve said it before and I will say it again, I am SO looking forward to a time when I can go out and do things and see people. I am fortunate that my job continues, but I miss many parts of life before lock down. I am hopeful that the vaccine will be what we are waiting for and folks I know are starting to get their doses. I can’t wait to go to a restaurant, to a shop, to see my parents, or to travel. I hope we have started to turn the tide.

I had some white chocolate that I wanted to use in a recipe, so I went searching for some different options. It’s not unusual that I bake with white chocolate, but it can be so sweet that it is critical to mix it with other flavors. I thought about some sort of white chocolate blondie, and I found a couple of ideas. I ended up choosing this one, as it also contained caramel, and I had some of that remaining in the refrigerator. This recipe ended up calling for more white chocolate than I originally had, but it was just the perfect amount for that opened bag of white chocolate chips I had!

As this is a British recipe, the measurements are in grams. This is more accurate, and if you don’t have a metric scale, I really encourage you to get one! You can also use Google to get equivalents, but that lacks some of the sparkle. It seems like most things I make these days is quick, and this is no exception. Swirling the caramel on top of the bars will look different, depending on how much you swirl it about. To avoid too much stickiness, I decided to refrigerate the bars before cutting. That does make the bars quite solid, but it takes care of the bars being too sticky to cut. These bars are on the sweet side, but the caramel adds other flavors as well. Perhaps I would use one less egg, as US eggs are typically bigger than UK eggs, but really, I wouldn’t change much.

White Chocolate and Caramel Blondies

200 grams butter, melted and slightly cooled
125 grams sugar
125 grams brown sugar
3 eggs
275 grams flour
1 tablespoon cornstarch
200 grams white chocolate Chips
150 grams caramel sauce

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9” square pan with foil and spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray.

In a large mixer bowl, bear the butter, sugar, and brown sugar on medium until smooth. Add the eggs and beat on medium again, until incorporated. Add the flour and cornstarch and mix on low to combine. Fold in the white chocolate chips.

Spread the mixture evenly in the prepared pan. Top with dollops of caramel sauce and swirl the caramel through the batter.

Bake for about 25-30 minutes, until they are set along the edges. The center may still be slightly soft. Cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into blondies.

Recipe from Jane’s Patisserie

No comments: