Friday, April 30, 2021

Peanut Butter, Honey, and Toffee Cookies

Peanut Butter, Honey, and Toffee Cookies

This week, I challenged by husband to find cookies for me to make this week. He accepted the challenge and found a couple of different recipes that sounded good. He, like me, tends to drift towards more hearty flavors. We had recently purchased some mead, and one of the recipes uses mead. I am looking forward to that recipe, but I didn’t want to make it this week since it is also a ginger/molasses cookie. Not really springy at all!

These cookies sounded like a combination I love- peanut butter and honey. I have used honey in cookie recipes before, and you do need to be careful to ensure that your cookies don’t burn. This recipe caught my interest as it suggested adding chocolate chips, or toffee, or other mix-ins to the cookies. Since I had toffee chips, I thought those would be nice. I have toffee chips that aren’t covered with chocolate, but the chocolate covered ones would work as well.

This recipe is quick and makes two dozen cookies. The cookies are sticky, and I was worried that they would spread as I typically refrigerate peanut butter cookies before baking. Thankfully, that wasn’t an issue with these cookies. When flattening the cookies, make sure you use plenty of flour or you will end up with a sticky mess! I did worry that adding toffee bits (which are sugar) to a cookie with honey might be too sweet, but the peanut butter balances the flavor. The toffee chips are not distinct but add a subtle crunch to these tasty cookies.

Peanut Butter, Honey, and Toffee Cookies

¼ cup butter, room temperature
3/4 cup honey
1 egg
¾ cup peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 ½ cups flour
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
¾ cup toffee chips

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicon baking mats.

In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter and honey on medium until light. Add the egg, peanut butter, and vanilla and mix on medium to combine. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour, salt, and baking soda. Once the dough comes together, fold in the toffee chips.

Drop the cookies onto the prepared baking sheet and flatten the cookies with a fork dipped in flour.

Bake for 10-12 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from Chinook Honey Company

No comments: