Friday, May 7, 2021

Orange Creamsicle Cookies

Orange Creamsicle Cookies

In choosing recipes, especially around this time of the year when the weather starts to get better, I sometimes find variations that have a lot of similarities. I had planned on making these cookies this week, and the only ingredient I needed was the zest of an orange. I picked that up one evening so I would be prepared. Later on, I realized that I had the ingredients for another cookie as well, a bar cookie that also used orange zest. What to do? I texted my husband and asked if he wanted cookies or bars. Obviously, cookies won the day.

Now, I don’t bake a lot with orange as my friend at work doesn’t care for the flavor. She even gives me her orange Dots, we are quite the pair! But I am still working remotely from home so I take this opportunity to bake items that might not be loved by everyone. I have no idea when we will again be working in person, but I sure do miss folks.

These cookies, while in actuality are a variation of a chocolate chip cookie, taste completely different. I love orange creamsicles, and I also loved the orange/vanilla ice cream cups you got as a kid, with the horrible wooden spoons! Do they still have those? This recipe uses white chocolate chips and a hearty helping of orange zest to mimic the orange creamsicle flavors, and they are fantastic! These are so good and I’m glad I made a half batch because I think my husband and I would eat them all!

Orange Creamsicle Cookies
1 cup butter, room temperature
½ cup sugar
½ cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
2½ cup flour
¾ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons orange zest
2 cups white chocolate chips

Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter, sugar, and brown sugar on medium until creamy. Add the egg and vanilla and mix to combine. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour, baking soda, and salt. When the dough has almost come together, stir in the orange zest and white chocolate chips.

Scoop the dough by tablespoons onto the prepared baking sheets.

Bake for 8-11 minutes, until barely golden around the edges. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a rack to cool completely.

Recipe from Six Sisters’ Stuff

No comments: