Friday, May 21, 2021

Nutella Biscotti

Hazelnut Biscotti

I really love the combination of hazelnut and chocolate! Sometimes that comes in the form of my own combination of ingredients, and sometimes it’s in the form of Nutella. I have made quite a few recipes with Nutella, and I continue to find new and different recipes to try. Now, I will be honest that biscotti aren’t my favorite cookies, but I have learned that make them more to my liking. I’m not a fan of dry cookies, so I tend to shorten the second baking time. They are drier, but not as dry as some biscotti.

The recipe for these biscotti is very simple, and it makes a petite batch. Honestly, 3 tablespoons of Nutella aren’t that much, so they don’t have a strong chocolate flavor. I did make one change to the recipe. The original recipe called for walnuts and it seemed very strange to use anything but chopped hazelnuts in this cookie. I know other nuts would work in a pinch, but hazelnuts are the appropriate choice here.

Biscotti is the cookie you want to make if you don’t have a lot of time. I think I had these started and finished in under an hour. They are simply mix, shape, and bake, and I suppose that chopping the nuts is the most labor-intensive part of this recipe. My dough was sticky, and I did end up adding a little extra flour to reduce the softness/stickiness. I baked mine just a few minutes less the second time, and they are crunchy but not so dry. As I said, they aren’t so sweet, but it doesn’t feel like you are missing anything!

Nutella Biscotti
3/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons Nutella
1 egg +2 yolks
1 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1/3 cup chopped hazelnuts

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat.

In a large mixer bowl, beat the sugar, Nutella, and eggs on medium until combined. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt and stir on low until the dough comes together. Stir in the chopped hazelnuts. If the dough is too liquid, add a small amount of flour and mix until the dough comes together.

Divide the dough into halves and shape each half into a log, about 3 inches wide.

Bake for 20 minutes. Remove the biscotti from the oven and cool 5 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 275 degrees.

Slice the logs into cookies, each about an inch thick. Return the cut biscotti to the baking sheet.

Bake for 15-20 minutes, until dried to your liking. Remove from the oven and cool before serving.

Recipe from Pickled Plum

No comments: