Friday, June 25, 2021

Chocolate Pistachio Cookies

Gluten Free Chocolate Pistachio Cookies

This week, several of my coworkers and I got together and met in person! We are vaccinated, and it was fantastic to see everyone. Two folks started working with us during the pandemic and it was the first chance I had to meet them. I’m so glad that they are part of our team! It was also a wonderful opportunity to bake for them. I now have different coworkers who are gluten and dairy free, so I wanted to make something that everyone could eat.

I had come across this gluten free cookie, and it looked fabulous. It’s hard to go wrong with chocolate and pistachios. I used a standard gluten free flour mix that is available at grocery stores, and it is good to check your other ingredients, just in case. I have different measuring cups that I use for gluten free flour, to do the best I can. I used vegan butter, as my house is so warm that coconut oil would have been problematic. I melted down dark chocolate chips, and in this case, I checked to make sure they were gluten and dairy free. Chocolate often contains dairy. I checked with folks to see if eggs were ok, and they were, so that was good. I find that trying to replace eggs in recipes is difficult.

These cookies are a simple, soft chocolate cookie, topped with melted chocolate and pistachios. The dough is quite soft and remain soft after baking. The original recipe had you dip the cookies halfway in the melted chocolate, but that usually ends up in a big mess for me. These are delicate cookies, so the drizzle worked better. This recipe made just over two dozen, which is a good amount to share. I think my cookies are smaller than the original, but I prefer that. These cookies are intensely chocolate, and the crunch of the pistachios is lovely.
 
Chocolate Pistachio Cookies
1½ cups gluten free flour
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup coconut oil or vegan butter, room temperature
¾ cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla

4 ounces dark chocolate
1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
¼ cup pistachios, finely chopped

In a medium bowl, whisk together the gluten free flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In a large mixer bowl, beat the vegan butter and sugar on medium until well combined. Add the egg and vanilla and stir on low to incorporate. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the gluten free flour mixture, mixing just until a soft dough forms.

Refrigerate the dough for 20 minutes.

Heat the oven to 356 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment.

Scoop the dough onto the prepared baking sheets, using about 1 tablespoon of dough for each cookie.

Bake for 7-9 minutes, until the cookies are set. Allow the cookies to cool before proceeding. The cookies will likely flatten while they cool.

Once the cookies have cooled, make the topping. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate and vegetable shortening, stirring frequently. Once the chocolate is smooth, drizzle the chocolate over half of each cookie and then top the chocolate with chopped pistachios. Allow the cookies to set before serving.

Recipe from Wholesome Pattisserie

No comments: