Friday, July 2, 2021

Cherry Garcia Cookies

Cherry Garcia Cookies

Since it’s the summer, I eat quite a bit of ice cream to try and keep cool. Let’s be honest though, I like ice cream pretty much any time of year, unless it is very cold. I like just about any ice cream with cherries, and one that I can consistently get is Cherry Garcia Ice Cream. Some other brands will make cherry ice cream in the summer, but Cherry Garcia is available all the time.

When I came across this recipe for Cherry Garcia Cookies, I knew I had to make them. It’s a cookie based on a favorite ice cream flavor! Additionally, it is awfully similar to a chocolate chip cookie, and I often get requests to make those! When I mentioned to my husband that I would need to get maraschino cherries, he said he knew which ones to get. He got some Orasella Maraschino Cherries, which are made in Seattle and are simply cherries and maraschino liqueur.

The maraschino cherries that I used are darker, so the cookies look a little different than the ones pictured in the original recipe. I did chill the dough, but because the cherries are a little different, the dough seemed wetter than expected. The first batch did spread a little, but not too bad. They are darker, but they had to get nice and golden to bake through. I used dark chocolate chips and chunks, which changes the flavor slightly. They are extremely chocolatey with cherry, and you get a hint of almond. I’m not sure the first thing I think of is ice cream, but they are excellent cookies!

Cherry Garcia Cookies
1 ½ cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup butter, room temperature
½ cup sugar
½ cup brown sugar
1 egg
½ teaspoon vanilla
¼ teaspoon almond extract
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
½ cup maraschino cherries drained and chopped

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter sugar, and brown sugar on medium until smooth. Add the egg, vanilla, and almond extract and stir to incorporate. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour. With a spatula, stir in the chocolate chips and maraschino cherries.

Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour.

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

Scoop the dough onto the prepared baking sheets, using about 1-1/2 tablespoons of dough for each cookie. Leave space between the cookies as they may spread while baking.

Bake for 11-13 minutes, until browned along the edges. The cookies may be soft in the middle but will firm up as they cool. Cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from My Heavenly Recipes

No comments: