Friday, November 19, 2021

Dark Chocolate Chip Granola Cookies

Dark Chocolate Chip Granola Cookies

I’m gearing up for holiday baking but there still is a little time left before I start posting those recipes. Since there isn’t a lot of time before I change to peppermint, eggnog, and gingerbread, I am making recipes like this one that is a twist on a classic. My husband got home from work, and he was thrilled that I had made chocolate chip cookies. Well, almost classic chocolate chip cookies.

The difference with these cookies is that they use dark chocolate chunks, which aren’t uncommon, but also granola, which I have only occasionally seen used in cookie recipes. I short while ago my husband and I spent the weekend in La Conner, which is a cute agricultural town. There a little breakfast and lunch place called The Calico Cupboard that we visited. While I didn’t have the granola there, I did buy some for breakfasts at home.

Other than those two variations, this recipe is a classic, and was found in one of those “best cookies from around the US” articles. The original recipe specified almond granola. Well, my granola has some almonds in it, so I think that’s good. I did take the raisins out of the granola, as I didn’t know how they would fare during baking. These cookies look and smell fantastic, and I asked my husband if he could tell what was different. He didn’t notice right away, but the granola adds an extra little crunch. These were a big success!

Dark Chocolate Chip Granola Cookies
1-1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup dark chocolate chunks
1/2 cup granola
1/4 cup oats

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking soda; set aside. In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter on medium for 30 seconds to soften. Add the sugar and brown sugar and mix again on medium to combine. Add the eggs and vanilla and stir to incorporate. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour mixture. With a spatula, stir in the dark chocolate chunks, granola, and oats.

Scoop the dough onto the prepared baking sheet, leaving some space for the cookies to spread.

Bake for 12-14 minutes, until the cookies begin to brown along the edges. Allow the cookies to cool for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from Better Homes & Gardens

No comments: