Friday, November 12, 2021

Irish Cream Thumbprints

Photo of Irish Cream Thumbprint cookies

I came across this recipe and I was intrigued. I like thumbprint cookies, but I can’t recall how many chocolate ones I have made, and I’m quite certain I haven’t made them with a boozy filling. In reading the original recipe, it didn’t use Irish Cream liqueur, but instead used Irish Cream coffee creamer. I don’t like sweet and coffee, so I certainly never use flavored coffee creamer. It called for such a small amount, so I figured I would just use regular Irish Cream liqueur. Call me a daredevil!

The recipe also called for 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter, which is such an unusual amount! I decided to use 1 cup as that was much easier. The dough was slightly dry, so I added an extra egg yolk, and it came together nicely. I shaped the dough and refrigerated it, which is supposed to help the cookies keep their shape. This can be an issue with thumbprint cookies, so I was happy to try that.

These baked up well, and you do need to be careful with chocolate cookies. It’s very easy to over bake the cookies, so I took them out of the oven when they looked almost finished. The still have a little shine to them, but I knew that even if they were under baked, it would be better than a try cookie. The filling comes together quickly, and the Irish Cream liqueur works just as well as coffee creamer!

Irish Cream Thumbprints
1 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon espresso powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

4 ounces white chocolate
1 tablespoon butter, softened
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons Irish Cream
1/2 cup powdered sugar

In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter and sugar on medium speed until light. Add the egg and vanilla and mix again on medium to combine. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour, cocoa powder, espresso, and salt.

Shape the dough into balls and place on a parchment lined baking sheet or large plate. With your thumb or the end of a wooden spoon, press a well into the center of each ball of dough. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Heat the oven to 350 degrees and line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

Place the chilled cookies on the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes. When the cookies have been -removed from the oven, reshape the well in the center of each cookie. Cool completely on a wire rack before filling.

Make the filling: in a small bowl combine the white chocolate and butter. Place the heavy cream in a measuring cup and heat until just at the boiling point. Pour the hot cream over the white chocolate mixture and allow to set for 5 minutes. Once the mixture has sat for 5 minutes, whisk until smooth. Add the Irish Cream and powdered sugar and stir until smooth and creamy.

Fill the well in each cookie with the white chocolate/Irish Cream mixture. Allow to set for an hour before serving.

Recipe from Cinnamon Spice & Everything Nice

No comments: