Monday, December 20, 2021

Eggnog Sugar Cookies

 

Eggnog Sugar Cookies, topped with a maraschino cherry

When I think about the cookies I want to make and post in December, I do plan quite extensively. I try to vary flavors and cookies versus bar cookies, and I make sure that the recipes right around Christmas day are very Christmassy (and often British). This year, I had planned an eggnog frosted ginger cookie for today, but when it came time to make them, I just wasn’t interested. With not a lot of extra time, I needed to find something else to bake.

I had been looking online, already thinking about how to approach the recipes I’ll make next year. I started by looking at recipes that I had already marked, and first found a sugar cookie topped with a cherry, but then I found this recipe that was virtually the same with the exception of the addition of eggnog. That sounded festive and it was in some ways similar to the original eggnog recipe that I had planned to make.

This recipe is easy to make, which is great this time of the year, when there is so much happening. The cookies call for ingredients that you likely have, and I had already purchased eggnog for some other recipes. I didn’t have maraschino cherries, but I picked some up while I was at the grocery store. The cherries came in a plastic jar which was fantastic as I know I have broken a glass jar of cherries at least once! These cookies are simple but have a good eggnog and cherry flavor, perfect for the holidays.

Eggnog Sugar Cookies
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup eggnog
1 teaspoon rum
1 3/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
24 maraschino cherries

1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2-3 tablespoons eggnog

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter and sugar on medium until light. Add the eggnog and rum and mix again on medium to combine. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt. Mix just until the dough comes together. The dough will be soft.

Scoop the dough onto the prepared baking sheets, using about 1 tablespoon of dough for each cookie. Press a maraschino cherry into the center of each dough ball.

Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the cookies are set and just barely beginning to turn golden around the edges. Cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Make the glaze: in a small bowl whisk together the powdered sugar, nutmeg, and 2 tablespoons eggnog until the mixture is smooth. If required, add additional eggnog to thin the glaze to a drizzling consistency.

Drizzle the glaze over the cookies and allow the glaze to set before serving.

Recipe from Everyday Shortcuts

No comments: