Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Mince Pie Bakewell Squares

Mince Pie Bakewell Squares

I love a Bakewell Tart. It was the first recipe that I posted on my blog! Someday, when the time is right to travel again, I hope to visit Bakewell, England where the tart originated. In the meantime, it’s fun to come across different recipes that are inspired by the Bakewell Tart. While I most commonly have the Bakewell as a little tartlet, there are quite a few bar cookie Bakewell recipes. I love that in Australia they are called slices. If I see the word slice in a recipe, I know it’s likely from there.

This is a British recipe, through and through. Some of the ingredients I do buy from British companies, such as the Mincemeat. I use the Rum and Brandy version from Crosse & Blackwell. I know there are other brands, but I stick with what works. Each year my husband and I plan to make our own mincemeat, but that never happens. And if you’re worried, there is no meat in mincemeat. Think of it as a spicy applesauce with raisins.

You top these squares with sliced almonds, which are called flaked almonds in the UK. While this may not sound any different, there is a difference to be aware of. The sliced almonds that you get in the States have the skin on them, where the flaked almonds in the UK do not have skins. I think they look better without the skins, but for a small quantity either will work. I think that this is a wonderfully festive version of the Bakewell Tart, and it really isn’t Christmas unless you have something with mincemeat!

Mince Pie Bakewell Squares
150 grams cold butter, cut into cubes
300 grams flour
35 grams sugar
3 tbsp ice water

250 grams butter, room temperature
250 grams sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon almond extract
125 grams self-rising flour*
125 grams ground almonds
½ tsp baking powder
400 grams mincemeat
50 grams flaked/sliced almonds

3 tablespoons powdered sugar
Water to make a thick paste

Line a 9” x 13” baking pan with foil and spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray.

Make the pastry: in a large food processor, combine the butter cubes, flour, and sugar. Pulse to combine. Add the ice water and pulse until the dough comes together. Press the dough into the bottom of the prepared pan and prick all over with a fork. Chill for 30 minutes.

Heat the oven to 350 degrees.

Bake for 15 minutes, until beginning to brown. Remove from the oven but leave the oven on.

Make the cake: In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter and sugar on medium until light. Stir in the eggs and almond extract. With the mixer running on low, gradually stir in the flour, ground almonds, and baking powder.

Spoon the mincemeat evenly over the partially baked pastry. Carefully top the mincemeat with the cake batter, and then sprinkle with flaked almonds.

Bake for 35 minutes, until golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack. Once the bars are cool, mix the powdered sugar and water and pipe over the bars in a zig zag pattern. Allow the icing to set before cutting into bars.

*I make my own self-rising flour by combining 2 cups of flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, ½ teaspoon baking soda, and ½ teaspoon salt

Recipe from The Baking Explorer

No comments: