Friday, January 13, 2023

Pistachio Chocolate Chip Cookies

Puffy Pistachio Cookies with White and Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips, photographed on a blue plate

I’m still working through all of the decadent treats that are in the house after the holidays, but I am trying to get back into the swing of baking! I had some pistachios on hand that I wanted to use in a recipe, so I looked to see what I could find. I marked a number of recipes and now I am probably going to have to buy more pistachios to try all these recipes.

I didn’t make changes to this recipe, although I did use a mix of white and semi-sweet chocolate chips. I started out making these cookies with my regular cookie scoop, which holds about 2 teaspoons and the first batch of cookies were so tiny! They are also really puffy, which I wasn’t expecting at all. I was expecting a crinkly cookie, and that was not what came out at all.

The Internet provides all sorts of answers about why cookies may be puffy, but I am not sure. Most of the reasons center around the butter, whether you have too much or too little, and the temperature of the butter. This recipe uses melted butter, which I have used before and didn’t have any problems, so I don’t know. Somehow the ratios weren’t quite right, so they cookies are smaller and pale. While they don’t look perfect, they are very tasty! I like the pistachios combined with the chocolate. Now I just need to find the right ratios for these cookies…

Pistachio Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 cup butter, melted and slightly cooled
¼ cup packed brown sugar
¾ cup sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 ½ cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped salted pistachios
3/4 cup mixed white and semi-sweet chocolate chips

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a large mixer bowl, combine the melted butter, brown sugar, and sugar and beat on medium to combine. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour mixture. Fold in the pistachios and chips with a spatula.

Drop the cookies onto the prepared baking sheets, using 1-2 tablespoons per cookie.
 
Bake the cookies for 10-14 minutes, until lightly browned along the edges. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from 100k Recipes

No comments: