Friday, January 20, 2023

Chocolate Swirl Thumbprints

Three Chocolate Swirl Thumbprints: cookies rolled in sugar and chocolate sprinkles, topped with a Hershey's Hug that is melted and swirled, photographed on a grey mat.

It was so nice getting back into the swing of things with baking. I found a great cookie that I couldn’t wait to try, they weren’t too tricky to make, they turned out well, and they are super tasty! I edited the recipe ever so slightly, where I used chocolate sprinkles rather than ground coffee. I didn’t want a strong coffee flavor, and I had the chocolate sprinkles already. I used what they called dark chocolate crunch for these cookies.

I had planned to make the dough one night and then bake them the next day, but I wasn’t quite that organized. As a result, I ended up making the dough early one morning, and then baked the cookies when I got home that evening. The dough is fairly soft, even after being in the refrigerator all day, so it likely wouldn’t make much of a difference how long you chill the dough.

My version made just under three dozen cookies, and I honestly have no idea how this recipe would make 48 cookies. They must have been tiny! I will say that the dark chocolate crunch didn’t stick to the dough, but that’s ok. Swirling the half-melted chocolate is a skill, and some cookies looked better than others. These cookies are so good, with a slight hint of coffee from the Kahlua and the lovely sweetness of the Hershey’s hug!

Chocolate Swirl Thumbprints
1 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 tablespoon Kahlua (or milk)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2-1/4 cups flour

2 tablespoons chocolate sprinkles
½ cup sugar
Hershey's hugs (chocolate kisses with stripes)

In a large mixing bowl, beat the shortening and sugar on medium until light. Add the baking powder and salt and stir to combine. Add the egg and Kahlua and mix to incorporate. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour, mixing just until the flour is blended into the dough. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours.

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a small bowl, stir together the chocolate sprinkles and sugar. Shape the dough into 1-inch balls and roll the dough in the sugar mixture. Place on the prepared baking sheets.

Bake for 10-12 minutes, until set and just barely browned. As soon as the cookies come out of the oven press a Hershey’s hug into the center of each cookie. Allow the cookies to set for 5-10 minutes and then carefully swirl the Hershey’s hug with a knife or the back of a spoon. Allow the cookies to cool completely on a wire rack.

Recipe from Happy Life Blogspot

No comments: