Friday, February 3, 2023

Cinnamon Almond Bars

Two Cinnamon Almond Bars: a cinnamon and shortbread base topped with sliced almonds and a powdered sugar glaze. Photographed on a square aqua plate.

Trying to avoid the very decadent this time of year helps me to look for other recipes, with flavors of almond, lemon, and the like. These sounded great and pairing almond with cinnamon was a little different. For sliced almonds, I prefer the ones where the almond skin has been removed. These are harder to find in the US, but Trader Joe’s has some that I use if I haven’t otherwise stocked up.

This cookie has a modified shortbread base topped with almonds and a lemony glaze. Once again, I am feeling inadequate as a baker as this recipe used up the last of my cinnamon. Who runs out of cinnamon? I use it all the time and typically have extra on hand. I guess I should order more. (If you’re worried, I do have some Ceylon Cinnamon that tastes a little different but I will use if needed.)

This recipe was written the way I like them, in a laid-back and understanding way. It instructs you to press the dough evenly in the pan, but don’t stress too much as no one will see it. That’s what I like. I have a cookbook that I adore but I’ve learned that when the author says “this may be a little tricky” then I should prepare for difficulty. These are easy to make and so good. They taste a little different with the cinnamon in the dough, and you keep thinking “What is that?” while you eat them!

Cinnamon Almond Bars
1 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 egg, separated
2 cups flour
½ teaspoon salt
1-1/3 cups sliced almonds

1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon butter, melted
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Heat the oven to 300 degrees. Line a 9” x 13” pan with foil and spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray.

In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter, sugar, and cinnamon on medium until combined. Add the egg yolk (reserving the white) and stir to combine. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour and salt. Press the dough into the bottom of the prepared pan, trying to distribute the dough as evenly as possible.

Whisk the egg white until foamy and then brush on top of the dough. Press the sliced almonds over the dough and press down slightly.

Bake for 30 minutes, until golden.

Just before the bars come out of the oven, prepare the glaze: in a small bowl whisk together the powdered sugar, melted butter, water, and lemon juice. Drizzle the glaze over the warm bars and spread into an even layer. Once cool, cut into bars.

Recipe from Chef Lindsey Farr

No comments: