Friday, October 20, 2023

Cinnamon Apple Bakewell Bars

A Bakewell made into a bar cookie, with cinnamon apple preserves. Photographed on a wooden cutting board.

When my husband and I visit places, we tend to purchase interesting preserves. I always think that “I can use this in a recipe” and usually I have little trouble finding the right thing to make. Occasionally I do forget that I purchased something, and discover it when I clean and sort the kitchen. I knew I had cinnamon apple preserves, but I also found pear cinnamon preserves that I had bought for fall baking. I asked my husband which I should use for these Bakewell Bars, and he suggested the cinnamon apple preserves.

This recipe started as Lemon Bakewell Slice, which the use of “slice” immediately tells me this is a British or Australian recipe. I wanted to use apple cinnamon preserves, so I substituted that for lemon curd and used almond and vanilla extract instead of lemon zest. The original recipe doesn’t give a pan size, which was tricky. It looked like a rectangular pan, and I have used my 20 x 29-centimeter pan for different slice recipes I’ve made. It works great.

My pastry was a little small for my pan, but I was able to cover the base of the pan and two of the sides. I figured it would be fine in the end, and it was. You do need to be careful when you spread the almond filling over the preserves, as you want to seal in the preserves. I dotted the preserves with almond filling and then nudged it into place. Everything stuck and moved too much otherwise. You don’t want these bars to be too browned, but mine could have baked a little longer, as the pastry was a little soggy. These bars have a lovely flavor, not too sweet, and so good for fall.

Cinnamon Apple Bakewell Bars

1 pastry sheet
200 grams cinnamon apple preserves
100 grams butter, room temperature
125 grams sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
150 grams ground almonds
80 grams flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup powdered sugar
1-2 teaspoons milk

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Have a rectangular pan ready. I used a 20 x 29-centimeter tart pan.

Line the pan with pastry, piecing it as needed to cover the bottom of the pan. Cover the sides of the pan if possible, but I didn’t have enough dough to cover every side. Spread the preserves over the pastry in the pan.

In a large mixer bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add the eggs, vanilla, and almond extract and stir to incorporate. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the ground almonds, flour, baking powder, and salt. Spread the mixture on top of the preserves.

Bake for 30-35 minutes, until golden. Cool before adding the icing.

In a medium bowl whisk the powdered sugar and milk until drizzling consistency. Drizzle the icing over the cooled bars. Allow the glaze to set before cutting into bars.

Recipe from What the Redhead Said

No comments: