Friday, October 27, 2023

Toffifee Brownie Bites

Brownie bites made in mini muffin pans, topped with a Toffifee candy. Photographed on an oblong green plate.

I have wanted to make these brownie bites for a while now, as you all know how much I love making cookies in mini muffin pans! I had all of the ingredients with the exception of Toffifee candies, which are something that I pick up from time to time. I adore hazelnuts and there are very few candies in the States that contain hazelnuts, so anything with hazelnuts makes it into my shopping cart at the store.

Toffifee were very difficult to find, and I finally found them at the 7th or 8th store that I visited. I was beginning to worry that they were not to be found. I have had that experience with other baking ingredients, but these candies aren’t that uncommon. For the small amount of chocolate, I found a small piece of bittersweet chocolate and used my microplane to grate in some chocolate. I didn’t want chunks of chocolate, so that was the easiest approach.

This is a German recipe, which is why the quantities are in grams. I think it makes baking easier as I just get out my scale and I don’t mess up a bunch of measuring cups. It does make a small quantity; I was able to eek out 15 brownie bites, which is a fairly petite number. They were quick to make and look picture perfect topped with a Toffifee candy. The brownie bite tastes very much of dark chocolate, so it’s good to have the balancing caramel, hazelnut, and nougat flavors in these bites.

Toffifee Brownie Bites
60 grams butter
100 grams brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
45 grams flour
40 grams cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
30 grams chocolate, chopped/grated
Toffifee Candies

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a mini muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray. You will need a mini muffin pan with about 15 indentations.

Melt the butter and allow to cool for 5 minutes. In a large mixer bowl, beat the melted butter, brown sugar, and vanilla on medium until thoroughly combined. Add the egg and stir to incorporate. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour mixture. Fold in the chopped/grated chocolate.

Transfer the brownie mixture to a piping bag and fill the mini muffin cups about ¾ full.

Bake for 10-12 minutes, until a cake tester inserted in the center of the brownie bit comes out clean. Once the brownie bites come out of the oven, press a Toffifee candy into the top of each warm brownie bite. Allow the brownies bites to cool for 15 minutes before removing from the pan.

Recipe from Bake to the Roots

No comments: