Friday, March 29, 2024

Strawberry Shortbread Cookies

Egg-shaped shortbread cookies, speckled with freeze-dried strawberries, topped with a strawberry glaze. Photographed on a burgundy plate.

I hadn’t brought cookies to work in a while, and I figured that I would have some time to bake. Of course, I chose a recipe that looked great but then didn’t actually make that many cookies! This recipe makes less than two dozen cookies, and not all of them were ready for prime time, so I just took some to my friend at work rather than bringing the entire batch. Soon I will bring something for the bigger group!

This recipe is a roll-out cookie, which isn’t something I make that frequently. They really aren’t that hard to make, and I have made more recently so I am starting to feel more comfortable with the process. These are roll-out shortbread cookies, with some added freeze-dried strawberries. I had those on hand since I had used them previously, so I didn’t have to get any additional ingredients to make these. I used my egg cookie cutter since Easter is so soon, but you could honestly use any shape.

The dough for these is very simple, and you hardly need to crush the freeze-dried strawberries as I added to the dough and the mixer does a good job of crushing them. The first roll is the hardest, when the dough is cold, but it gets better. The original recipe used a white chocolate glaze, but I changed that to a powdered sugar icing. I was a little short on glaze, so I did end up sprinkling the cookies with additional crushed freeze-dried strawberries to make them look fancy. I like these cookies, I don’t think that the strawberry flavor is strong, but they look lovely.

Strawberry Shortbread Cookies
1 cup butter, room temperature
½ cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 ¼ cups flour
¼ teaspoon salt
⅓ cup freeze-dried strawberries, crushed

¾ cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon freeze dried strawberries, crushed into powder
2-4 tablespoons milk

In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla on medium until light. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour and salt. When the dough is almost fully formed, stir in the crushed freeze-dried strawberries. Divide the dough into two halves. Shape each half into a flat disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour.

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

On a lightly floured surface, roll one piece of the dough until about ¼” thick. Cut the desired shapes out and place on the prepared baking sheet. Reroll the dough one additional time, then repeat with the second piece of dough. The number of cookies will depend on the size of your cookie cutter.

Bake the cookies 15-20 minutes, until beginning to turn golden. The thickness of your cookies will impact whether your cookies bake for a shorter or longer time.

Once the cookies come out of the oven, allow then to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Once the cookies are cool, make the glaze: in a small bowl combine the powdered sugar and powdered freeze-dried strawberries. Add 2 tablespoons milk, whisking frequently, until the glaze is the right consistency. If too thin add additional powdered sugar, additional milk if too thick.

Drizzle the icing over the cooled cookies. Sprinkle with additional crushed freeze-dried strawberries if desired. Allow the glaze to set before serving.

Recipe from Little Vintage Bakery

No comments: