Friday, December 30, 2022

Highlights from 2022

I hope that everyone had an excellent holiday season and look forward to new things in the new year. It’s been a year of some things getting back to normal, and other things not really having a normal anymore. I enjoy the time I spend baking, and it is a good distraction to all of the other complexities that life brings. For this post I decided to look back at my posts for 2022 and bring you a selection of my favorites, as your home is likely filled with sweets already!

Date Nut Bars
Do you bake much with dates? They are certainly not commonly used in recipes but I don’t know why as they are so good! I used chopped dates, as seeding and chopping dates is about the stickiest thing in the world. Life is too short to be spent chopping dates!

Three date-nut bar cookies, stacked on a gold glittery plate
 

Ginger Layer Shortbread
If you read this blog with any regularity, you know that I love ginger. This is just about the simplest recipe that you can make, I just hope that you can find some ginger curd or some other interesting flavor of curd/preserves to give this recipe a try.

Shortbread cookie with a ginger filling, photographed on an orange plate
 

Ginger Oatmeal Crisps
Another ginger recipe? I can’t say I am too shocked! Instead of citrus zest I added candied ginger, which is always an excellent addition to any ginger creation. These thin, crispy, buttery cookies can’t be beat.
 

A stack of thin Ginger Oatmeal Crisps, photographed on a black sparkly mat

Fluffernutter Cookies
This year I did an entire month of peanut butter creations, and this was one of my peanut butter/marshmallow creations. I won’t kid you, sandwiching marshmallow fluff between sticky peanut butter cookie dough isn’t easy, but it’s worth it to give it a try.
 

A single peanut butter cookie, molded around a filling of marshmallow fluff, which peaks through the cookie dough in several places. Photographed on a red plate.

Italian Cream Cake Cookies
These were a different cookie for me, a petite and delicate cookie with the flavors of Italian Cream Cake. These cookies are extremely crumbly, and adding coconut and pecans as a coating doesn’t help. They take a little longer to bake, but that just makes them more special.

 Italian Cream Cake Cookies: a thumbprint cookie rolled in pecans and coconut, filled with cream cheese icing. Photographed on an orange plate

Glazed Spice Cookies
While these cookies didn’t turn out at all as expected, they have quickly become a favorite. A spiced cookie topped with brushed-on icing traditionally used for lebkuchen ended up being the hit of the holiday season. I’ve already made these cookies twice and I’m pretty sure they will become one of my Christmas classics.


Round spice cookies brushed with a lemon/powdered sugar glaze. Photographed on a green plate shaped like a holly leaf



No comments: